My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Java Plum Tree


Java Plum Tree

 

One more tree that I remember is the gorgeous java plum tree that we had in Bhilai. 


During the winter afternoons we used to sit under its beautiful large canopy and do our homework. Now that I am visualizing and writing about it, I can distinctly remember it. It was a tall and handsome, evergreen, java plum tree and gave us lots of shade in the afternoons. It faced the road – the South Park Avenue 5 (SPA 5) – I guess it faced the road to act as a windbreaker!

Yes, I am getting sentimental about this tree too whose various names are plum, jambul, jamun, jaman, faux pistachier, Indian blueberry , jambol, doowet, jambolan and jambolão. Its scientific synonyms include Syzygium jambolanum, Eugenia cumini and Eugenia jambolana.

Oh how lovely this tall and evergreen tree was! The more I am writing the more details I am remembering about it. Its bark was greyish brown and thick and its leaf blades were oblong, thin, leathery and oh so tasty – yes, I ate the Jamun leaves!

 

Other trees may have struggled through the sweltering heat of the Bhilaiin summers, but this tree remained leafy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment