My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Alocasia


This tropical plant in the Alocasia genus featuring stunning foliage is definitely the centrepiece of my window garden!

 

An Alocasia plant, native to Asia, is also called an Elephant Ear plant or African Mask plant because of its very large, glossy, heart-shaped leaves with wavy edges. These stunning, veined leaves come in red, bronze, blue-green, and purple. Alocasia is sometimes known as the Kris Plant also.

 

This unusual looking houseplant, which produces flowers on occasion, caught my attention in the church many years back in 2010. Among the other plants in our parish, there was this one Alocasia plant making a statement with its bold, arrow-head shaped leaves and tall stems. But of course I didn’t know its name!

 

Over the years it always caught my attention whenever I was at the church. Then suddenly in December 2019 I saw an Alocasia plant in the local nursery and I brought it home along with the MILT and two pothoses. When I got it home, this plant had two large beautiful leaves and so I kept it indoors for some days. But suddenly its beautiful leaves started looking sad and so I kept the plant out in the window garden as I thought it needed bright natural light.

And for the first time in my life as a Plant Momma I was right. My African Mask Plant though a stunning houseplant can be tricky to grow indoors. By the grace of God, this elegant plant, in the genus Alocasia, is growing so well in the part shade, filtered bright indirect light of my window garden.

 

Though it is so beautiful, sadly, it is toxic for my darling Minnie!☹️

No comments:

Post a Comment