My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Areca Palm


Areca Palm

 

Areca Palm (Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens) is one of the most widely used palms for bright interiors. It features feathery, arching fronds, each with up to 100 leaflets. These big, bold plants command attention.

It is also known as dypsis lutescens, golden cane palm, yellow palm, or butterfly palm, and is a species of flowering plant in the family Arecaceae.

Areca palms demand a lot of care and attention and have a ten year lifespan! Still the Areca Palms, native to Madagascar, is one of the most popular indoor houseplants sold today.

While many species of palm trees and palm tree seeds are toxic to domestic animals, the areca palm is considered safe if consumed by cats or dogs, states the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

And that’s why I brought it home. A recent addition to my window garden, Minnie sometimes plays with its fronds as it triggers her playful swatting and biting instincts! But I allow her to do it because it’s so comforting to know that the areca palm isn't toxic for her. In fact I guess it is also known as the Cataractarum Palm or the Cat Palm!

Whatever it is, it’s safe for cats and also purifies the air! But it is hard to believe the beautiful areca palm was once an endangered species though I just love palms! Though slightly on the expensive side, I have always bought them in pairs! There's something about palms - I just love them!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment