My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Mangalore Didn't Exist😬

At that point in my life, I did not even know about the existence of a place called Mangalore!😬 I have always been amazed at the fact that till my active participation in the church, from the last decade or so, I didn't even know that there was a place in Karnataka by the name of Mangalore. 

In my childhood holidays, I went to places like Bangalore and Mysore in Karnataka, but I didn't know about Mangalore. I had never heard of this place. Also while in Goa, I did not know that I was so close to a place with which I will fall in love at the fag end of my life.🤭 I knew about the language Konkani and always thought that only the Goans spoke Konkani. Well, that's what I studied in geography. All my expeditions with the Atlas never took me to Mangalore.🤭

So it was only in the last ten years or so that I came to know about Mangalore and the Mangalorean Catholics. And how the Catholics differentiated between the two! But honestly speaking, even to me, now the Mangalorean Konkani is more soothing to the ears than the Goan version!😍

So if I did not know about the existence of Mangalore, how could I know that they could also be considered south Indians? After all, it's in Karnataka and Karnataka is in the south of India and the official language is Kannada. But I was ignorant of this fact and missed them out as South Indians. 

For me, a Malayali was typical south Indian and thus I learned certain words and phrases in Malayali to express my love for my Prince Charming!😄 As written earlier I hated Bengalis and never wanted to marry them. All I had in mind was a Malayali as my Prince Charming with whom I would eat idlis and dosas all the days of my life.😄This was the sole desire of the heart.🤭❤️🤭

Since my little geographical knowledge did not know of the existence of Mangalore, I also did not know that even Mangaloreans eat idlis and dosas - sannas and neer dosas - and various other similar south Indiana dishes. 

When I loved the kasavu and wore them during the OCDS Novem Jevonn, did my heart not feel sentimental in that traditional saree? When I loved to eat vorn did I not feel good? I never knew that I would be so sentimental about Mangalore and everything Mangalorean.🤗

Just the way I was about Bhilai and Durgapur!

Did I miss out on something beautiful? Oh yes, as always, a loser in the matter of the heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment