My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Friday, October 11, 2013

VANITY FAIR



As a noun, VANITY FAIR in Bunyan's PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, means a fair that goes on perpetually in the town of Vanity and symbolizes worldly ostentation and frivolity.

Secondly, (often lowercase) VANITY FAIR is any place or group, as the world or fashionable society, characterized by or displaying a preoccupation with idle pleasures or ostentation.

And thirdly, (in italics), VANITY FAIR is a novel (1847–48) by William Makepeace Thackeray.

Today, when I was absentmindedly standing at the window, getting irritated by the loud festivity (read noise) everywhere, it suddenly occurred to me that fourteen years ago, I used to be a part of this noise. And the words that sprang up in my mind were VANITY FAIR. I kept standing at the window recollecting the years gone by. I felt that fourteen years back during the so-called “festivity” time; I used to be in VANITY FAIR. I used to be in a place or scene of ostentation or empty, idle amusement and frivolity. Nothing more!

Every year, during the idolatry days of my life, from the Sixth Day onwards, I used to be totally mortified. Mortified without any fashionable clothes to match the characters, and without any money to splurge like them! And because of this, I was highly looked down upon and it killed my mind and spirit. I hated them all – I still hate them all – nothing has changed. Today I was also watching Facebook postings of some of the Idolatry and I noticed that nothing has actually changed. The latest “news”, “photos” and “videos” are still on at VANITY FAIR. Characters are still appearing in garish make up and wearing flamboyant clothes morning and evening. They hardly take any break. There’s still that haughtiness and arrogance all around the place. Like I wrote, nothing has changed and never will. I repeat, I HATE THEM ALL.

The social life of this community, of this great country, spread all across the world in general, will keep symbolizing worldly frivolity. There’s something about them that made me not like this community right from the very beginning though I was born in one. Like in Bunyan's PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, this VANITY FAIR goes on perpetually in all the towns of this country that I have lived in.


Dunno why, this community is unable to give up its VANITY FAIR – no place or group is different from the other – all are characterized by a preoccupation of idle pleasure and ostentation during these Five Days. This vain and frivolous lifestyle, in villages/town/cities/metropolitans, and this manner of living, actually reflects the community’s values and attitudes. It kills the self-esteem of an individual. It had killed mine.

Like the novel by English author William Makepeace Thackeray, first published in 1847–48, satirizing society in early 19th-century, fourteen years back, I too was “without a Hero”. But thanks be to Lord Jesus Christ, He called me by my name and brought me to His own people. Now I am a sheep of His flock. I am chosen as His own people.

So as the manager of the performance sits before the curtain on the boards and looks into the FAIR, instead of sitting, I was standing and reviewing my wasted years. A feeling of gratitude swept all over me and I immediately thanked my living God for ending this VANITY FAIR for me. I am really thankful to the Good Lord for showing me the Truth, the Way and the Life. I am so glad that now I am no more a part of this scandalous and politically incorrect VANITY FAIR.

The author of this classic novel had introduced to the audience the beautiful, funny, passionate and calculating heroine – Becky Sharp. But the Author of my life rewrote the entire story for me fourteen years back and made it an unending and award-winning novel for me.

Thank you so much, Lord!!!

“Ah! Vanitas Vanitatum! Which of us is happy in this world? Which of us has his desire? Or, having it, is satisfied?” — VANITY FAIR

Praise Lord, I am and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment