My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sandwich

Nowadays I am behaving like the English nobleman, John Montagu, the Fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792). No I am not immoral like him but I have been eating a lot of sandwiches just like him and also feeding my entire family these sandwiches.

While trying to search for a word that best describes a person who lives on sandwiches, I came to know that the word ‘sandwich’ that we use today was born in London during the very late hours one night in 1762. It was at that time that Montagu was too busy gambling to stop for a meal even though he was hungry.

The Earl was an enthusiastic gambler and when he didn't wish to leave the gaming table to go to dinner, he would ask for someone to bring him some meat between a couple of slices of bread. Later, when others began asking for the same thing, they would say something like, “I'll have what Sandwich is having...” It seems this fever caught on and people just started calling for ‘a Sandwich’ when they wanted meat between two slices of bread!!!

Well, I knew a bit about this story but today I got to know the insides of it. So back to my eating sandwiches! As I mentioned earlier, I am eating a lot of sandwiches nowadays. It’s because I am observing Lenten season and forgoing my lunch and also on a vegetarian diet. So I prepare a lot of toast sandwiches in the morning for breakfast and feed all of us. Every day I experiment with different fillings – beetroot, potatoes, cucumber, green chutney, butter – today it was cheese. And these sandwiches turn out just sexy. I never knew I could make such amazing sandwiches.

I am just loving these sandwiches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment