My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mother Mary

From yesterday, I have started saying the rosary on my own in the train. Since I have finished reading the Old Testament (OT), I thought I should be praying in the train before getting started with the New Testament (NT). Today was my second day in the train and while I was saying the rosary, I was enchanted by Mother Mary. She got me thinking.

She was barely 15 when angel (Gabriel) of the God appeared to her and told her that she will be conceiving a baby boy by the power of the Holy Spirit. What makes me think is that any girl at that age would have got flabbergasted and would have been so much scared hearing all this. But I guess as she was truly chosen by God to be the mother of His son Jesus Christ, she didn’t doubt or question the angel or anyone. She took it so positively and in fact must have felt so proud to be the chosen one. No wonder then Roman Catholics still revere her so much.

I wanna be like her. In fact, when I went for my Christmas confessions, the priest had told me that I was like mother Mary of my home and my children look up to me for guidance and love and also as an individual. He had told me to be patient and calm like her but at that time I had found it little disturbing because I thought how could he compare me with Mother Mary. After all, she is the mother of our Saviour and how can I, a sinner, be compared with her.

But now while writing this I can fully get the picture. What he actually meant was that I should be inculcating the love and affection of Mother Mary for Jesus and be loving and affectionate to my children just like her. And honestly, I really need a lot of patience because patience is something I just don’t have.

Take today’s example. Goldie has an eye infection and has to be given eye drops regularly. But since she is taking eye drops for the very first time, she was getting scared of the liquid falling in her eye. She was refusing to take the medicine. And I kept screaming and shouting and threatening. I lost my temper and forced the drops into her eyes.

What I actually needed during this time, and for that matter always, is patience. The patience of Mother Mary. I need to be calm and composed like her in the trials and tribulations of my everyday life. Now I can fully comprehend what the priest was trying to tell me by making that statement.

So while saying the everyday rosary, I need to put in the petition for calm and composed mental frame of mind just like Mother Mary. Also, to be loving and caring like her because nowhere in the NT has she been shown reprimanding Jesus for anything. When she and Joseph came searching for Jesus in the temple, though they are shown to be worried for him, they don’t rebuke him. Instead they express their concern for him, speaking sweetly, without getting angry a bit.

So even I want to speak sweetly with Jemimah and Jewel and not use harsh words for them. I want Mother Mary’s tranquil composure and patience to guide me whenever my kids are wrong. I wanna chide them in a loving manner. I want to be a tower of patience like her. I ask for this grace from my Jesus and his mother…Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment