My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ben Hur

From last one week, from 11th March to be precise, I am reading ‘Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ’ written by American general and author Lew Wallace. It is an 1880 novel and the author’s best-seller.

My decision of reading religious/spiritual books during Lent made me pick up this e-book. I have an old second-hand printed version of Ben Hur in my library which I had bought from an old paper mart back in 2007-08. I had liked it at that time also. May be that’s why I wanted to read it again. Whatever it is, I am again enjoying reading BEN HUR which is a dramatic story set in Biblical times.

Actually the story intertwines the life of Jesus with that of a fictional protagonist, the young Jewish prince named Judah Ben Hur, who suffers betrayal, injustice and brutality, and sent into slavery by his Roman friend Messala. He gets separated from his mother and sister and longs to be back with them.

Since the tale revolves around two story lines – that of Jesus and Ben Hur – it begins with the three Kings pursuing the Star and the Holy Spirit which leads them to Baby Jesus. The second King happened to be a Hindu, a Brahmin at that, who was in search of Love and this love ultimately led him to Jesus. This is something I have liked the most.

Again, as happens with me, I am drawn towards Judah (Ben Hur), the protagonist, who is innocent but falsely accused. My heart goes out for him. And then there is Jesus. So the story has to be truly enticing.

So Ben Hur becomes my third most favorite book in line after ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ and ‘The God of Small Things’.

No comments:

Post a Comment