My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Repentance

Presently, to prepare myself for the role of a catechist, I am reading a book given to me for reference. In this, I have been reading about King David and during my research on him, I came across this line which touched me the most. It says, “David’s adultery with Bathsheba was only an opportunity to demonstrate the power of repentance”. And in this particular statement, the word which struck me the most was ‘repentance’. I wanted to know more and write more about this particular word.

The word repentance (teshuvah) is derived from the Hebrew root sh-u-v, which means “to return” – the implication being “to return to God”. In other words, a sinner has to change his mind about sin. This is exactly what it means to repent: a change of mind about sin and about God. I just loved what I read about King David. In fact, King David is one character from the Old Testament whom I like a lot. I like him since I read about him in my Bible classes because though he sinned, he repented for it – he didn’t hide it from God. He accepted his sin and did everything possible to repent and be a righteous person all over again. In his suffering as a sinner, he wrote psalms to express himself and reach out to God. What a great personality!

According to Webster, repentance is defined as “to feel sorry for or reproachful for what one has done” and David did this all. He suffered much, he repented for what he had done and all his sins were forgiven. For it’s written in the New Testament: “Repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord”. Even Jesus Christ once said that unless we “repent” we will all perish (Luke 13:3, 5).

It’s also written about King David that “His contrition was so sincere that God pardoned him”. I really like this particular information about King David: “The spirit in which David accepted these penalties has made him for all time the model of penitents”. I just love it. How many of us are like King David!

In the Hebrew Bible, repentance generally leads to salvation. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret.

Jesus Himself said that “I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance”. I have read this line umpteen times and every time this line manages to stir up my soul. I feel lighter every time I come across this verse. It’s written in Revelation 3:19 that “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline” and I am fully confident of Jesus’ love for me. He loves me a lot and has exalted this repentant sinner to great heights. I again want to reiterate that what is seen now is just the tip of the iceberg; many more beautiful things are still in store for me. I am the chosen one and thus great things will happen with me because I have decided to mix up with Jesus.

Psalm 51 is marked by true characteristics of repentance such as:
• Appeal to the mercy of God
• Honesty
• Understanding of the severity of sinning against God
• No excuses or justification
• Desire to reform
• Recognition that forgiveness is not deserved but by grace alone

No comments:

Post a Comment