My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Monday, June 11, 2012

Catechist Retreat

I am only few steps away from becoming a catechist and honestly, though at one hand I am extremely excited, on the other hand, I am feeling somewhat intimidated. As I haven’t done this earlier, I am a totally new catechist eager to learn some basic teaching skills to help me while teaching – any theory, any tip, any method – anything which will help me getting started on the planning and teaching. Since I will be engaged in the students’ faith formation, I don’t want to go wrong anywhere.

For this I attended a personal retreat especially conducted for those who lead others to faith. I spent my entire weekend participating in interplay workshops conducted by spiritual leaders Jaime and Ligia Da Fonseca. I didn’t know what interplay was until I attended one – it’s a body-spirit practice that consists of interactive, improvised body movement with a playful, childlike quality. I must say that I really enjoyed the invigorating 2-day session and look forward to more such interplays where I can unlock my holistic body wisdom in a creative way. I learnt so much and I honestly intend to practice some of these every day. This spiritual practice integrated my body and mind and heart so much. I really had so much fun and right now I am feeling so relaxed and refreshed and renewed with more body spirit.

Well, lets get back to me as a catechist. Initially I will be a volunteer or co-teacher to assist the larger class. Then later on when I am confident enough, I will conduct classes on my own.

I have been appointed to co-teach Confirmation students. Just for my knowledge as well, Confirmation is a sacrament, ritual or rite of passage practiced by several Christian denominations and it means strengthening or deepening one’s relationship with God. Confirmation candidates attend a series of special classes to learn about the sacrament, their faith and Christian responsibilities. I will be instructing one of these classes with an experienced teacher (catechist).

Confirmation is typically administered around the age of 16 or when a child completes tenth standard. In our church, these candidates will be in their eleventh standard now. So I will have to tread ground with teens who are at a very critical stage of their spiritual lives. I pray to Jesus to please bless me to spread His words in a way He wants it. I pray to Jesus that through this retreat, I become a living sign of faith.

PS: My Golu gifted me a new phone yesterday – Samsung Galaxy Ace plus S7500 – so now I am a proud owner of an extremely smart dark blue phone! It was launched in India just recently in April – I am yet to discover all its features.

No comments:

Post a Comment