My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Monday, February 7, 2011

Protagonist or some other character

Two things happened to me on Friday, 4th February, 2011, while going home. Both the incidents happened in the train. In the afternoon, RJ Komal of 104.8 FM called up to take my song request. I have not been listening to radio nowadays because I feel that the reason for my nagging headache is the long hours I spend on my mobile listening to music. So I have been avoiding radio on my mobile to find out whether actually it’s true or not. But on Friday when Komal called up, I gave my request to her and remained tuned in to hear my voice and song – “kya jaanu sajan hoti hai kya gum ki sham” - on air! I love retro music and will have to be tuned in to listen to all my favourite numbers all over again. It’s such an inherent part of my life.

The second thing which happened to me was quite embarrassing. I started crying while reading “The God of Small Things” by Arundhati Roy. I cried when I read that one of its characters, Ammu, died a lonely death in some unknown hotel where she had gone to give a job interview. I guess this is the only book which has made me cry. Other books have made me sad for a little while but none have made me cry so much. In fact, there was so much of tears in my eyes that my vision became blurred and I actually had to stop reading to get back to my normal self.

This is the problem with me. I get involved with either the protagonist or some other character in a book and start identifying myself with it. In “The God of Small Things” I have been identifying myself with Ammu - the mother of twins Rahel and Estha – because she has two children and she doesn’t distinguish between her children. The kids too fight and then make up with each other just like Jemimah and Jewel. So I had tears in my eyes when Ammu died in the middle of the story. And the way Arundhati Roy has described the death and then the cremation is really so very touching. I felt bad at the narration. I have read this book before also but it was in 1999 and I had forgotten the story. But now I was deeply interested right from the first line and started identifying myself with Ammu may be because I am also a momma now. Anyway, I like this book and it has become a favourite and has a special place in my heart.

Another book which has a special place in my heart and will remain so for a long, long time to come is “The Count of Monte Cristo”. This book is close to my heart because it brought me out of the most difficult phase of my life and the character Edmond Dantes as the Count made me fall in love with him. I also like his sweetheart Mercedes. But of course I like Edmond Dantes the most and he is the most favourite and memorable character I have ever come across in a book. I will cherish his memories for the rest of my living days and years for the transformation he brought into my life and helped to come out of the tricky situation. I will forever remain indebted to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment