My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Monday, October 26, 2020

Monastic Life


Though I had heard about monasteries, and I knew they existed, I had absolutely no idea how they looked like. Actually I never paid any attention to monasteries!

And then in October 2017 I visited the Carmelite monastery in Goa! I was taken aback by its beauty! First I fell in love with its garden - it was the most beautiful one I had ever seen in my life! Then I saw the green vegetables and the boars and the more I saw, the more I fell in love with the monastery! 

The Carmelite monastery in Goa is the only monastery that I have ever seen in my entire life. I have already blogged about it before but the reason I am blogging about it again today is because of something I have been thinking about for quite some time now.

I am in the midst of compiling my second handbook! This time on the Doctors of the Church! I have compiled 23 of them till now. 

The reason I am writing about monasteries is because most of these great Doctors lived a monastic life and never ventured out much! They did all their writings from the cells of their monasteries!

What made me think and stop my research and write this post is that if all the monasteries in the world are as beautiful as the one in Goa or maybe more beautiful than it, why would a monk ever want to venture out in the big bad world?

If you have a beautiful garden and beautiful vegetables and beautiful boars around you, why would you want to be out? Wow, just the thought of being amidst so much of beauty is so soothing to my soul! No wonder St. Bede hardly went out of his monastery and St. Elizabeth of the Trinity fell in love with the monastic garden which she saw from her home!🏡 In fact she wanted to join the Carmelite Order only because of its beautiful garden!🤩

Jesus, my dear DLL, I want to visit the Carmelite monastery again! Just one more time!😇

No comments:

Post a Comment