My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Friday, August 16, 2013

Saturday, 18th August, 2001 @ 6:53 pm…

There was some kind of bell ringing inside the operation theatre and suddenly the doctor told me “baby”. Before the actuality could sink in, a pomegranate-red-lipped baby was shown to me. Though blurred, I still remember the stunning pout and the loud wail. Finally, after a long wait of nine months, a pomegranate-red-lipped “baby” was born to me – I was so very happy and kept thanking the doctor for my pomegranate-red-lipped baby girl. Whenever I think of that conversation with the doctor, I smile. In what way was the doctor responsible for the pomegranate-red-lipped baby girl to be a girl? I didn’t have to thank her for my pomegranate-red-lipped baby to be born as a girl. She was always destined to my pomegranate-red-lipped baby girl. And I to be the mother of my pomegranate-red-lipped baby girl!!!

Today my pomegranate-red-lipped baby turns 12. What a beautiful day!

Twelve years back I would sit with my pomegranate-red-lipped baby in my arms; she was so tiny and delicate and fragile. Though now she is too big for my lap she will always remain my pomegranate-red-lipped baby; my first born. A girl – I always wanted to be the mother of a girl and not a boy. Somehow the idea of motherhood for me was always associated with a baby girl.

God has been extra good and kind to me – I always wanted ‘a girl’ but He has given me ‘two girls’. May be He knows I can handle girls better than boys – what a blessing! Two girls!!!

But I am imperfect and many a times I have failed as a mother. I am into motherhood only for the last 12 years and each day I am learning something new. I am learning from my own mistakes and also from my daughters – they teach me such big lessons in life – truly, would I be a mother without their presence in my life.

I don’t understand this funda of a good and a bad mother – I feel a mother is a mother is a mother and she does everything is her possibility (possible ability – words learnt from our dear Fr. Michael) to do whatever she can and whatever she feels right for her children. How can anyone grade a mother as good or bad! Stop judging mothers. Who are you to judge a mother?

So, today if my pomegranate-red-lipped baby is 12 years old, I too am a 12-year-old mother. Happy birthday to my pomegranate-red-lipped baby and Happy Motherhood to me!!! God bless us both and also Goldie and their Dadda.

Thank you, Lord!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment