My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Saint Augustine

It has come about. Saint Augustine seems to have touched my life today. It’s been many days now that I am reading a book titled SAINT AUGUSTINE written by Rachael M. Philips. But it was only today, in the morning, while I was reading this book in the train that Saint Augustine’s life finally started having an impact on me. To be more precise, while reading about Saint Augustine, I came to know that he too was influenced by the writings of Saint Paul and used to devour his writings day in and night out – so much like me.

The book says that initially Saint Augustine was influenced by one of the early church fathers – Saint Ambrose – as his sermons moved Augustine to the core. The book says Augustine was “hypnotized” by Ambrose’s wide spectrum of philosophical knowledge. Here I would like to quote one of Saint Ambrose’s philosophical sayings which have set even me thinking – “Evil is not a living substance, but is a deviation of mind and soul away from the path of true virtue, a deviation which frequently steals upon the souls of the unaware. The greater danger is not, therefore, from what is external to us, but from our own selves. Our adversary is within us; within us is the author of error, locked, within our own selves. Look closely on your intentions; explore the disposition of your mind; set up guards to watch over the thoughts of your mind and the cupidities of your heart. You yourself are the cause of your wickedness; you yourself are the leader of your own crimes and the instigator of your misdeeds. Why do you summon an alien nature to furnish an excuse for your sins?” How true! How I wish I had known all this earlier. But there’s always a first time and am glad that at least I know it now. But better late than never! At least I have started realizing the philosophy of life (read evil) now than never.

Well, Saint Augustine’s own philosophy about sin is also quite influential. He says, “Human beings are divided by the law of sin. Human efforts are necessary to overcome this condition, but not sufficient. Only God’s revelation and grace can overcome this fallen state”.

And about evil, he says, “Evil resides in the human will and no human efforts can undue the consequences of this reality. Jesus Christ is the atonement for human depravity. Philippians 2:5 – 9: “Your attitude should be the same as Jesus Christ: Who being, in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on the cross”.

Saint Augustine was so much charmed by Saint Ambrose that he moved away from simple literalism to a more nuanced allegorical approach to Scripture. Saint Ambrose is also credited with effecting Saint Augustine’s conversion and it is him who baptized Saint Augustine in 387. For my knowledge, Saint Ambrose was a bishop of Milan who became one of the most influential ecclesiastical figures of the 4th century. He is counted as one of the four original doctors of the Church. The other three being Saint Augustine, Saint Gregory and Saint Jerome!

Another paragraph from this book which has touched me the most is – “when I first knew thee, thou didst lift me up, that I might see that there was something to be seen, though I was not yet fit to see it. I realized that I was far away from thee in the land of unlikeness, as if I heard thy voice from a high”. Here Saint Augustine is obviously talking about Jesus Christ who touched his heart and mind and soul in his mid-life crisis. So much like me!

Besides the CONFESSIONS, Saint Augustine’s most celebrated work is his DE CIVITATE DEI (ON THE CITY OF GOD), a study of the relationship between Christianity and secular society, which was inspired by the fall of Rome to the Visigoths in 410. Among his other works, many are polemical attacks on various heresies: AGAINST FAUSTUS, THE MANICHEAN; ON BAPTISM; AGAINST THE DONATISTS; and many attacks on Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism. Other works include treatises ON THE TRINITY; ON FAITH, HOPE, AND LOVE; ON CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE; and some early dialogues. I am getting this urge to read all these books but I don’t know whether our parish library will have all the editions. But surely there will be some books on Saint Augustine and I am raring to try out some.

As it is with me, I have been researching on Saint Augustine and found out that he went on to become a fourth century philosopher whose groundbreaking philosophy infused Christian doctrine with Neoplatonism (it means that all abstract categories and all mathematics are closer to the mind of God than anything else) made him one of the early heroes of Catholic church.

Saint Augustine lived in the Roman Empire from 354 to 430 A.D. In 386 he converted to Christianity from the pagan Machanean religion and this philosopher of Hippo became one of the most important figures in the history of Christianity. He became the most important Christian writer and since I feel like reading some of the books written by him, who knows, I might take up reading philosophy soon. But there’s one thing for sure – this Bishop of Hippo and “Doctor of the Church” is leaving a lasting impression on me as a voluminous writer on the subject of philosophy and its relation to religion. Nowadays I read only Christian spiritual and religious books and to be influenced by Saint Augustine is a big boost for my reading morale. He who is considered one of the most important church fathers of old orthodox Christianity is urging me to take up philosophy – who am I to say no to him then! I feel like reading some of his philosophical books though I know it will take me an eternity to understand his writings. But there’s no harm in giving these books a try provided I am able to find them in my parish library. Now, on any given day, I can read any books written on Saint Paul and Saint Augustine blindly. Just blindly. I have so much faith and conviction on their life and teachings about Jesus.

I guess I was destined to reread this book on Saint Augustine, the patron saint of Christian theology, at this point of my life for me to fully understand and comprehend it. When I saw the date written on the book I was amazed; I bought it on 6th January, 2007, and I remember that I had started reading it soon after I bought it. I also remember that it didn’t have any impact on me at that time – I guess everything has its own time and so happens at the time it’s meant to be – I can even confess that the book did bore me and I didn’t understand anything.

Nevertheless, during my research on Saint Augustine, I came across a very beautiful PPT made by someone – I have downloaded it and kept for my future reference. Amazing PPT, I must say! In this PPT, I found that Saint Augustine established a philosophical retreat, but abandoned a life of leisure to take up the post of Bishop in Hippo where he battled external foe and internal heretic. I came to know that the incarnation of Jesus Christ is the turning point of history for Saint Augustine. This brings into my mind some scripture words which says anyone touched upon by Jesus Christ does not remain the same – he or she changes – gets transformed. Like Saint Paul and Saint Augustine and of course this lowly creature named Jubilee Cardozo! We all have been transformed by Christ’s unfathomable love for us!

Saint Augustine credits Plato with coming closest among the pagan philosophers to the Christian understanding of God. “If Plato, therefore, has declared that the wise man imitates, knows and loves this God and is blessed through fellowship with him, why should we have to examine other philosophers? No school has come closer to us than Plato.” I guess I will have to read some of Plato’s writings as well. PS: Some time back I did try reading Plato but somehow all his writings went off my head. Honestly, I will have to make an extra effort this time. Also try reading Aristotle and Cicero if they are available at any of the bookstores.

Much as Socrates and Plato laid the foundations for philosophy, Saint Augustine and Thomas Aquinas laid the foundations for Christianity. Saint Augustine is one of the four great fathers of the Latin Church – the other four are Saint Ambrose, Saint Jerome and Saint Gregory the Great. These fathers were the early and influential theologians, eminent Christian teachers and great bishops. They are usually called the Apostolic Fathers since they were taught directly by the twelve.

No comments:

Post a Comment