My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Monday, March 5, 2012

The color white

“White is not a mere absence of color; it is a shining and affirmative thing, as fierce as red, as definite as black...God paints in many colors; but He never paints so gorgeously, I had almost said so gaudily, as when He paints in white” – G. K. Chesterton

White symbolizes purity and joy and for this very reason, the color of my birthday this year is white which also projects cleanliness and neutrality. It also stands for innocence. Physically it aids mental clarity, encourages us to clear clutter or obstacles, evokes purification of thoughts or actions and enables fresh beginnings. How apt!

It seems the ancient Greeks wore white to bed to ensure pleasant dreams. In Christianity, a white lily represents the Madonna (another name for Mother Mary) and in the Bible, white represents the color of “light” and is an emblem of the “divine”.

Also, white means holiness and is the Christian color for all high Holy Days and festival days of the Church Year, especially the seasons of Christmas and Easter. The Pope is associated with the color white and it is used for baptism, marriage, ordination, and dedications.

Here I would like to quote one text from the Bible – “Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and seated on the cloud one like a son of man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand” (Rev 14:14)

Elsewhere in the Bible, white color refers to manna (Exodus 16:31), righteousness (Revelation 19:8), forgiven sins (Psalms 5:7), the garments of angels (Revelation 15:6), gravestones (Matthew 23:27) and the throne of judgment (Revelation 20:11). White also means beauty (Song of Solomon 5:14) and costly decorations and wealth (I Kings 10:22).

According to Pantone Inc., white is the best selling color for the classic American t-shirt and can you believe, more shades of white are available commercially than any other color?

White reflects light and is considered a summer color and isn’t July a typical extended summer season all across the globe?

And ahem!!! I have already started saving money for my first-ever platinum jewellery which I intend to buy for my birthday this year. And what do you think platinum is? It’s a natural WHITE metal with a rich and distinctive color tone. Platinum is one of the rarest elements in the Earth’s crust and has a rich, clean color. Though the platinum’s color is similar to white gold it is a much purer light color and in the present circumstances, is a better investment than gold.

According to Wikipedia, platinum’s name is derived from the Spanish term platina del Pinto, which is literally translated into "little silver of the Pinto River". It is a dense, malleable, ductile, precious, gray-white transition metal. In 2010 July it was announced that platinum is present in the state of Tamil Nadu.

I guess I have already mentioned in some of my previous posts that this year I don’t have to buy any new clothes for my birthday. During the triple celebrations in 2011, I over purchased and so many of my clothes are still unworn. So I will be wearing all these for my birthday this year. I have to only buy some footwear to match my dresses and I feel like buying a sparkling silver sandal or a silver dress shoe for myself as they are usually made of more delicate materials such as suede, silk, or even satin. I believe silver dress shoes really take a center stage when it comes to looking ones best and like every year; I want to look my best for 2012 birthday as well. Just keeping my fingers crossed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment