My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Proud to be a mother of two daughters!!!

Yesterday I was reading this particular article on The Economist about female infanticide.

http://www.economist.com/world/internationaldisplayStory.cfm?story_id=15636231

It is about how girl children are being killed just because they are ‘girls’. It says that technology, declining fertility and ancient prejudice are combining to unbalance societies and it talks about various countries where girl children are not considered ‘children’.

The horrifying truth and the gigantic figure have truly upset me. I remember very well that even before I was married, I always wanted to have a daughter (may be adopt one or something equally nice) and whenever I thought of children, girls would bring smile on my face. When I was expecting for the first time, I secretly yearned for a girl and kept checking the Chinese calendar all the while. When my elder daughter Jemimah was born, the first thing I asked my doctor was, “is it a boy or girl” and when she said, “girl”, I remember thanking her so much (as if she had anything to do with her being a girl). In the operation theatre, I told the doctor, “thank you so much, I always wanted a girl”. I was indeed proud to be the mother of a girl child.

Though it’s a sad truth that I did not want to go for a second child, my husband Jason used to brain wash me and keep telling why we should have a second child. Initially, I was quite unhappy with my second pregnancy. Everyone said it would be a boy this time and again I referred the Chinese calendar to confirm (again I wanted a girl). I found out that it was to be a girl. I was happy but not ready to trust the calendar. Finally, thankfully, this time also I got a girl. Oooh!!! I was so happy…again I asked the same question to my doctor. Again she said that it was a girl. Again I said that this time also I wanted a girl.

I was so happy to be the mother of two daughters now. I must say even Jason was very proud to father two daughters.

In fact, it’s a very proud feeling to be mothering two daughters. I feel nice to buy fashionable clothes, shoes, earrings, et al for them. I couldn’t do all this if I had boys. How boring it would have been for me. It’s such a pleasure to be a mother of two daughters. Life is so fulfilling.

Though I shout, yell, scream and also sometimes spank them, it’s not because they are 'girls'. It’s because they don’t listen to me, it’s because they don’t study, it’s because they don’t eat….never because they are ‘girls’. I cannot ever imagine mistreating my daughters Jemimah and Jewel just because they are ‘girls’. It’s just unimaginable!!!

So it’s my humble request to all girl-child haters, please read my blog and fathom my happiness of being the mother of two daughters…I love my two daughters. They make my life complete and they are my assets. I feel proud to be a mother of two daughters. It’s such a blessing from Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment