My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

International Women’s Day

Yesterday was International Women’s Day and 104.8 meow fm radio was playing song dedications for all those important women in our lives who have helped change the shape of our lives in some way or the other. I too requested the song “mere ghar aayi ek nanhi pari” from 1970s hit movie Kabhi Kabhi for my daughters Jemimah and Jewel. I also sent out a SMS saying, “for my daughters Jemimah and Jewel who have made me the woman I am today”. This message won me a free gift voucher from Barista Lavassa.

Now this has set me thinking. Am I really that ‘woman’ about whom the entire world has been lavishing praises? What have I sacrificed for my daughters? Am I really a pillar of strength and example of patience? Have I really set any exemplary steps for my daughters?

My daughters are eight and five years old respectively. It’s true that I am the world for them right now but then they are too young to understand the other aspects of life. They come rushing to me with each and every problem but then, do I have the patience and energy to listen to them all? Don’t I shoo them away when they come complaining about each other and admonish them to solve it on their own. Don’t I say, “Will you please shut up” when they ask too many questions and I don’t have the energy, time and inclination to answer all their queries. I don’t think just because I am working and feel tired and bored in the evening to listen to their pitter patter, give me the right to just shut them up even before they open their mouth to ask anything to me.

Just because I have to cook dinner doesn’t mean that I can howl, scream and yell at them the minute they set their foot in the kitchen to ask anything innocent. I don’t think a ‘true woman’, a celluloid mom, ever behaves in such manner. Then why am I so aggressive with my kids and behave drastically with them? Where am I going wrong?

I wasn’t like this earlier. Though I wasn’t that mild mannered, I wasn’t of the screaming types also. I always wanted to have a daughter and with God’s grace, I have got two daughters today. I don’t mistreat them just because they are girls. I love them more because they are girls (may be I could have been worse with boys). I see to it that they get all the possible good things in life and I also make sure that they are properly dressed up all the time. I don’t differentiate between the two and give them both equal things. But still there’s that one thing that bothers me…I shout at them a lot!

Yes, it’s really true. They have made me the woman I am today……

No comments:

Post a Comment