My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Joy of being a catechist



2016-17 marks the fifth year of my life as a catechist. I know people hesitate to become a catechist, but I had always been sure of becoming one. Right from day one, my kids have been regular Sunday school goers. They never threw tantrums to not attend Sunday school (SS) though they cried to wake up early on Sunday mornings too. But once up, they would be charged up. While they attended SS, we attended Mass. At the end of it all, they would always return brimming with joy. This made me wonder what they did at SS. So while I was undergoing my Bible Study course, it became the desire of my heart to be a part of SS too. And though a novice, soon I was absorbed into the team of stalwarts.

At this time of the year, I am always overflowing with enthusiasm though teaching kids about faith is a daunting prospect. But I am glad that I decided to become a catechist. By doing so, I have answered God's call, the call of my baptism. This decision has enriched my life.

When you volunteer to be a catechist you must take it seriously, it is not a job to be taken lightly. The best part of being a catechist is helping kids/teens see how relevant Jesus really is. Friends often ask me what is so great about being a catechist. I guess it’s great to share my faith with children. Being a catechist is an experience of being entrusted with the responsibility and honour of presenting the message of our Lord, Jesus Christ and His church. The call to the ministry of catechist is a vocation, an interior call, the voice of the Holy Spirit – a spirit of faith, charity, hope, courage and joy.

Pope Francis, in his address at the International Congress on Catechesis in 2013, said: “Catechesis is a vocation”. Being a catechist brings joy. Okay, so sometimes it's not ecstasy trying to teach a group of kids about morals when they would rather be sleeping on a Sunday morning. I think one of the best reasons to become a catechist is it puts a smile. The joy of the Gospel fills the hearts and it is one of the few good reasons I feel alive. There are so many blessings that come from being a catechist. I have not only grown in my knowledge of faith but joy as well.

So as the New Year begins, the most important quality that I would like to possess as a catechist is a tangible love of Christ and the joy of being able to give a witness to it rather than just teach information. I feel privileged to spread the joy and beauty of the Faith to the students entrusted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment