My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Monday, November 12, 2012

Eucharistic Minister




Yesterday, November 11, 2012, was a golden day of my life. Yesterday all my sins were washed away and my nights turned to day. Yesterday Jesus Christ made me whole and gave me the authority over His Body and Blood. Yesterday I became an Eucharistic Minister. It means a lot to me to be a Eucharistic minister, and I am sure it will change my life forever.

Eucharistic Ministers have a variety of names – extraordinary or special ministers, auxiliary, or lay distributors (of Jesus’ body). By being an Eucharistic Minister of my parish, I will be now serving, distributing, and administering the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ during the Holy Communion or Eucharist of the Church Service. In the Catholic Mass, Eucharistic Ministers are referred to more accurately as "Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion" (the "ordinary" minister being the priest celebrant.

I read that Eucharistic Ministers are called not only to minister the Body and Blood of Christ, but to have and maintain a strong faith, a sense of awe, and an inclusiveness of others as the foundation for their ministry. The ministers accomplish this by strengthening their faith from within and sharing it with the faithful at communion time. Eucharistic Ministers must be comfortable in establishing a relationship with each communicant in what is most likely the most intimate moment in the liturgy.

During my tenure as an Eucharistic Minister, I will also be asked to bring Holy Communion to people within the parish community who are sick and/or homebound. The experience in bringing the Body of Christ to others, who cannot attend mass due to illness or other limitations, will truly be a gift from God. I am feeling so very exhilarated. Indeed, all my sins have been washed away.

PS: I am trying but cannot recall which hymn was being sung while I was distributing the Holy Communion for the first time, but the first person whom I gave the Communion was extremely tall and had a mustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment