My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Being Christian






On 9th June, when I went for my first retreat for the catechists, we were asked a question: “what does it mean to be a Christian?” Nobody was able to answer this question. That set me thinking.

Immediately I had made a note of this question in my book as well as in my mind. Over the months, I have been asking myself this question: “what does it mean to be a Christian?”

In the last six months, I have tried to live a true Christian life. Through my endeavors as a catechist and now as a Eucharistic Minister, I have learnt that being a Christian means that “you are changed on the inside and not controlled from the outside”. It means that your heart has been changed by the presence of Jesus Christ.

I have realized that becoming a Christian is one of the most important steps that I have ever taken in my life on earth. In April 2001, when I was getting converted into a Christian, I had never realized that to become a Christian, it is important not only to understand and agree with Christian beliefs, but also to rely on these things for my life. I have realized this now, after eleven years, while I write this.

“It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, He had His eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose He is working out in everything and everyone.” With this I firmly believe that I was born to be a Christian. God had His own plans for my life which is in a continuous process of realization – getting married to a Christian was the founding stone of my Christianity – things which have been following this are for eternity!

They say there are two important days in anyone’s life: the day you were born, and the day you find out why you were born. I have realized the importance of both…

Somebody great has said that “I am a most noteworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely. I have found the sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose to enjoy His marvelous Presence.” How true. How truly it fits my life.

But I have also realized that being a true Christian is hard. It means dedicating your life to God after accepting Jesus Christ into your life. To be being Christian means to be being 'good' because it’s very difficult to be good all the time. For me, being Christian means to be a better human being. But take heart as “God hasn't given up on you. He hasn't turned away. He believes in you.” Alleluia

Being Christian means to overcome Satan's attacks in the other realms which make us a human being: our mortal spirit and our flesh in this world. But I have nothing to fear – Jesus my savior is always present to carry me in His arms every time I fall. Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment