My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Salsa

Exactly a month back, on 11th September, 2012, Tuesday, I had joined Salsa classes with great enthusiasm. I was very excited to have joined because I have always wanted to learn Salsa. But today I regret to write that I will not be going for my classes anymore. I cannot do Salsa. I guess I just can’t dance. Dancing is not for me. It’s just another dreadful word in my life after DRIVING. Just the way I cannot drive to save my soul, likewise, I cannot dance to save my life. These two are some of those things in my life that I may never be able to do in this birth. Perhaps I will have to take another birth to learn Salsa. To learn Salsa had always been a distant dream and looks like this dream has distanced me from it. Some things aren’t meant for me.

Salsa dance was created by Spanish-speaking natives of the Caribbean and let it be for them. It’s not for a nincompoop Indian like me. Salsa mixes dance influences from Africa and Europe. I am very sure now that it isn’t for me. Though Salsa originated in Cuba in the 1920s; I will have to take another birth to learn it. It is a fusion of different types of dance and music styles, but I know only one style and that is ‘tapori’. And though Salsa is just 90-year-old, this 36-year-old lady will never be able to pick up the graceful Salsa steps. It’s too late for me and my body is unable to take up the strain of dancing. It pains at all possible places. It’s a fact and I have to admit it whether or not I like it.

Though Salsa dancing is a very beautiful dancing style, full of sensuality and grace, I am not meant for it. The rhythm, the dance, the musical excitement attributed to Salsa, which literally means "sauce", isn’t working out for me. This dance oozes with sensuous style, the passion and energy but my body isn’t able to gather the passion and excitement that flows about the dance floor unlike other Salsa dancers. So I quit.

When speaking about something that is of not much consequence, my main teacher in the Confirmation class says that “it isn’t important for salvation”. So to quote him, Salsa dance isn’t important for my salvation. The things that can actually bring in salvation for me are teaching in the Confirmation classes and going for regular rosaries for the entire month of October. So let me continue doing that and not run behind things which aren’t meant for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment