My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My gem and jewel!

For various reasons, I am exceedingly happy today but the first and the most important reason is that, I complete five years in the jewellery industry. It was on 7th September, 2006, that I had joined JCK India, a b2b jewellery magazine by Reed Infomedia, after undergoing a lot of hassles in my previous company while leaving. Initially, I was planning to join from the first of the month but the company felt that I wasn’t giving them adequate notice and so they were trying to be uncooperative with me and I had to request Reed to allow me to join from 7th. So on the last day everything was sorted out amicably and I was able to join JCK peacefully without any sabbatical as such.

So today it’s been five years in this beautiful jewellery industry. I have always loved jewellery of every kind and so much is my craze for gold jewellery that when our second daughter was born, I was adamant that I will name her Jewel. Then for her pet name I suggested Goldie. After joining the industry, I came to know that there’s a jewellery company named ‘Jewel Goldie’. Jemimah’s shortened name is Jem as in ‘gem’ and so both my daughters are the gem and jewel of my life (though I keep shouting at them all the time)! Well, that’s a different story altogether and so let’s keep it for some other day and time.

When I joined JCK on this day, I also came to know that it was my boss’s birthday. So every year I send him birthday wishes and today also I did the same. Later on, I got very friendly with a girl in the HR department and came to know that it was her birthday as well on this day. So every year I wish her also on her birthday. Then on 16th August, 2007, when I fractured my left foot while boarding a train, I was bed-ridden for 21 days and my plaster was removed on this day. While waiting for my turn, I came to know that it was the doctor’s birthday as well. So here’s wishing my ‘fracture doctor’ a very happy birthday!

I have special feelings for 7th September and generally I try to be happy on this day. So far I am and to keep up the momentum of happiness around me, I am humming the song “You sang to me” by Marc Anthony which I heard in the morning while traveling.

I want to put in writing more about my being in the jewellery industry since the last five years. Though I left JCK on 30th June, 2008, and joined a PR agency for a month (July) and was jobless in August and was a Mumbai correspondent for a Bangalore-based magazine for two months (September and October), I went back to my true love (diamonds and jewels) in November and till date I haven’t shifted my most loved industry. In fact, I don’t want to. I just want to be in this industry and like I rightly pointed out, it’s my true love. I keep reading about the industry to keep myself abreast and just love everything about diamonds, gold, silver, platinum, rubies, emeralds, turquoise, etc, etc, etc. Just the mention of all the color stones and metals bring such a peaceful feeling in me. I believe I was born to be here!

Though jewellery buying has become a little unaffordable right now because of the raised gold as well as diamond prices, the beauty of this charming industry remains the same and always will be.

Some magical words like carat, cut, color, clarity only bring dazzle in my life. To learn more about the industry, I try to attend as many seminars and events as possible. Tanishq is the trusted brand for me and in the last few years I have got all my old gold exchanged with them. I only have good quality gold and diamond jewellery from Tanishq now.

There’s a big first-ever color stone event happening in Jaipur on 2-3 November this year. Let’s see whether or not I am sent to cover that event by the apex body. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment