My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Friday, September 15, 2017

Aami jodi jomidar ginni hotam…



If I were a zamindar lady…


From the time I have come to know about my zamindari roots, I just can’t stop thinking about myself being a jomidar ginni or a zamindar lady. My mind is coming up with all kinds of ideas and I am daydreaming about my life in the zamindar era.


So, if I were a zamindar lady…


I would have been cooking zamindari cuisine…


I would have been one of the feudal classes then in Bengal, who were usually marked by arrogance…


I would have been a patron of Sanskrit literature and music…Also a patron of Sanskrit culture in Bengal…


My bor or husband would have had an extravagant life style…


My house or bari would have been situated on the southern banks of the Jalangi river in Krishnanagar…


I might have gone to visit Ghurni which is the neighbourhood of the clay artists…


My home would have had a thakur dalan for worship…


I would be performing nari bratas or magico-religious rites like the other womenfolk…


I would have been accustomed to the bhadralok culture…


As a rich jomidar ginni I would have stayed in seclusion in the andarmahals and the working women of my bari would have provided link to the outside world…


I would be living in a male-dominated society…


Sadly, I would have been economically and socially oppressed…


I would have had a deplorable condition like all other womenfolk of Bengal…



No comments:

Post a Comment