My Daughters

My Daughters
my cute daughters

Friday, October 16, 2015

Are you a real woman?




All my life I have loved jewellery. Whenever I had any kind of disposable money, I would buy jewellery. In 2006, I got the opportunity of writing exclusively on jewellery when I joined an US jewellery magazine which was newly launched in India. I was in the editorial department and since then, I have been writing exclusively on gems and jewellery.

Then in 2008, I was able to buy my first diamond earrings. So from plain gold jewellery I graduated to diamond jewellery. Since then I have been an out and out diamond jewellery fan. It was a dream come true and every woman aspires for that one diamond jewellery piece in her treasure trove.

But I find this diamond jewellery ad derogatory. What do they mean by a ‘real’ woman? I want to ask them how one differentiates between a 'real' and 'unreal' woman. Whoever could think that a woman could be 'unreal'? You are either a woman or a man. How can there be 'real' and 'unreal' women? Who are these 'real' women and what are they made of? What is the brand’s definition of a ‘real’ woman?

Most importantly, who created them? Did God create them differently? Without the flesh and bone? Did God create them using some special material? But aren’t we told that God created just man and woman. Does the brand have a different idea of creation? Is it that God created 'real' woman and 'unreal' woman especially keeping in mind this high-handed diamond jewellery brand?

Well, there are other ways of promoting diamond jewellery brands. Is it that all other women who wear a different brand of diamond jewellery are unreal? What about the ones who cannot afford diamond jewellery at all? What are they?

And we are talking about gender equality...firstly, let’s get the definition of a woman clear and then talk about everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment